Circle the Hogs
Warthog in the Old Days
A great American and Hawg Driver recently wrote to us with a request. Here is his narrative:
As a Hog driver from a long, long time ago, I'm trying to gather some of the A-10 jokes that circulated in the 80's--you've heard 'em: The Hog doesn't have an airspeed indicator, it has a calendar; you can't base Hogs near a swamp, the frogs will try to mate with it, etc, etc. There were dozens of these and I'd like to get them together, but unless I'm technologically challenged, I don't see a forum on the FU website for soliciting inputs from the Brothers. Did I miss it? If so, can you point me; if not can you put my request in print.
I agree with you on the ability to comment but we’re not sure yet what the best forum is. You can comment on this write up and others can join in. It may be that a straight forum in the future will come to pass but what we’ve seen in terms of straight “forums” have all ended in short order. I don’t know the reasons why but none of them seem to last for the A-10 or fighters in general. In any event, I found an old video I hadn’t seen for years. Ironically, this video made me want to fly the hog and I’m still doing it today. It’s a great piece of work. Enjoy.
Me being the air-to-air guy here at FU, I could not let this write up fly without a little ACM academics. Circle the Hogs my friend. It kind of reminds me of that sortie with you and Jimmy Mac before I retired out of Tyndall!
Speaking of the bloody great wheel of Hogs, don't miss out on getting your A-10 shirt in the FU Store.
1. A-10 simulator consisted of a 50 gallon tin barrel strung up, while the pilot was inside the instructor hit the barrel with a baseball bat while asking "Where are you 2".
2. How many rounds counters does an A-10 have? Two, one for counting those fired and one to count incoming.
Plane, in the Coast Guard Search' and Rescue (JATO take offs)--------
" GRANDMA WAS SLOW BUT SHE WAS OLD"-----JIM MUXEN, HM2
2. The Hog is so ugly it doesn't takeoff, it just scares the ground away.
3. What's one of the dumbest things ever put on an airplane? Speedbrakes on a Warthog.
I have now exhausted my remaining brain cells.
1. Real men fly A-10s.
2. There is no intelligent life above a thousand feet.
and to Jolly above, probably not him, but I remember from long ago calling a Fox Two kill (AIM-L seeker) on an F-106 near Stucky's Peak.